What is Physical Literacy?
Is the journey where children, adolescence and even adults take to develop knowledge, attitudes and skills to allow them to take part in a wide variety of activities
Why is it important?
People who are physically literate have the ability to understand, communicate and apply different movements which enables the individual to make healthy lifestyle choices
How does this effect us?
Only 9% of children achieve the recommended 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.
WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?
- encourage kids to be active every day
- introduce fundamental movement skills through games
- lead by example and participate in physical activity
- ensure that youth are not specializing in one sport too soon
- encourage learning and the understanding that it is okay to make mistakes
- create an environment where participants feel respected by their peers and their leaders